DRAFT Area Council Minutes - May 2017
DRAFT Area AGM Minutes - Jan 2017
Draft Rights of Way Committee Minutes - Mar 2017
Shropshire Area – Volunteer Vacancies
We are looking for volunteers to fill the following Area Roles. Time commitment is entirely flexible
and roles can be shared to reduce the demands on individual volunteers. Training for volunteers is
available via the Ramblers Roadshows and via mentoring from experienced volunteers. All
Volunteers expenses are re-reimbursed.
For more information on any of the roles or to volunteer your services contact Peter Carr – Area
Chair – 01691 780722
; or Mobile 07789 808825
; or by email
Whilst an outline of the role is given below, every volunteer develops their own approach and
expands or contracts the role to meet their own experience, ability and time availability.
Area Marketing Officer
This is a new role and the scope would to some extent be developed by the person taking this on.
The tasks to be addressed will be:
Walking Festivals co-ordinator
- Determine how we can reach all members of the walking public with our message of what
the Ramblers do in Shropshire. That is, Rights of Way work, checking Planning applications,
and walks both Group and individual (via Ramblers Routes)
- Ensure we communicate consistently with all of our members in the same manner as (a)
- Work with membership secretaries to ensure that new members have a greeting pack from
- Area/Group (this also includes existing members moving to our Area)
Determine appropriate channels of communication, news letters, web sites, Facebook,
Twitter, display stands/exhibitions and others. Ensure that Groups and Area are giving
- Ensure appropriate stories reach the media outlets
- Above all else capitalise on our USP as being the only charity that protects our paths and
access to the countryside
This role could be shared with volunteers taking responsibility for particular aspects
Ramblers Walking Festivals - the long established Festival of Winter Walks and the newly
established Walk About, are in the future going to be important Ramblers events designed to
showcase the Ramblers and attract new members. There is now a Staff Member in our Central Office
with responsibility for driving forward our Walking Festivals.
The Area Walking Festivals co-ordinator will
Area News Letter Team
- Act as the link between National and the Groups in the organisation of walking festival
- Ensure that the festival walks that we offer are co-ordinated across the groups
- Work with the Area Marketing Officer, Ramblers National and Group Publicity officers to
publicise the walking festivals
- Ensure that the walks are set up to welcome and encourage new members
- Work with Group Membership Officers to ensure all attendees at walking festivals are
logged and all non-member contact is followed up
- Above all else ensure that our walking festival walks are for the public, not just our members,
e.g. outward looking not inward looking. That they conform to whatever the guidelines are that are established.
We are looking to create a News Sheet team – probably two story creators/editors/researchers and
a production person. At least one of the team should attend Area Council (this could be by rotation).
The role of this team would be the production of an Area News Sheet (along the lines of the recent
one) at least twice a year
This role involves:
- Checking planning applications to ensure that Rights of Way are not compromised and that
the countryside is not impacted unnecessarily by development.
- Liaison with the council, Area Footpath Officer and Group Footpath Officers.
As all planning applications are now on-line some IT competency is required.
It may well that this role would appeal to someone who is no longer quite as active as they used to be but still wants to be usefully involved